The farmhouse is situated on a large rural site in County Down surrounded by a mature garden. Built in the late 1820's, the main house was originally designed with a two storey return that accommodated kitchen and servant spaces. By the 1960's, the house had fallen into a state of disrepair and the two storey return was mostly demolished, leaving behind a single storey external garage.
The plan of the main house was then re-configured to accommodate a small, north-facing kitchen and entrance porch. In making the modifications, the circulation was altered so that one had to travel through the living room to access the kitchen from the hallway.